***Recipient of the James Beard Foundation lifetime achievement award***
Click here or on photo beneath for Award Video
* Visit Barbara's blog to discover and share ideas on cooking and eating *
*Subscribe to receive new postings via RSS feed or direct to email*
Barbara Kafka’s new book, The Intolerant Gourmet, is now available. The subtitle, “Glorious Food without Gluten & Lactose,” explains the basic concept, and here at last is a cookbook about pleasure, not compromises, for those with these common food intolerances. The book is a 2012 James Beard Award nominee for Cookbook: Healthy Focus.
Barbara is also the author of a collection of award-winning cookbooks her readers swear by, among them Vegetable Love , Roasting: A Simple Art, Party Food, Soup: A Way of Life, and The New York Times bestseller Microwave Gourmet. Vegetable Love was winner of the 2006 IACP award for Best Single Subject Cookbook and Barbara was recently honored with the James Beard Foundation lifetime achievement award.
She was a regular contributor to The New York Times and has written extensively for food magazines in the United States, Great Britain, and Australia. She lives in New York and Vermont with her husband, Dr. Ernest Kafka.
To learn more about The Intolerant Gourmet and Barbara's other books or to purchase them, click on the Books section or visit her wonderful publishers Artisan Books.
Look for this Week's Recipe—Chocolate Sorbet, a perfect sweet finish to your dinner and a great make-ahead for parties. Other great dishes can be found in Recipe Library. To learn more about vegetables, equipments and techniques, click on Cooking Hints and Tips. The current featured tip is about the Soba Gome. The Travel and Food section features food finds from far and wide. And don't forget to visit Ask Barbara where you can submit questions and read what others had to say.
I am very grateful to
those who voted for my The
Intolerant Gourmet as a book with a healthy focus for the James
Beard Foundation and to those who named me as the Book Page book of the
month. Thanks to all and joy.
From April 22-28, Sur La Table is holding a series of gluten- and lactose-free baking class inspired by The Intolerant Gourmet in stores across the country. Reserve via phone or online.
You can also find me through these online adventures:
- Playing red carpet host for Devour TV at the James Beard Award gala. The video is now up at Devour.tv
Hope that you enjoy.
- An interview for the show "Bickering Foodies," now airing on the web-based food network devour.tv.
- Microwave recipes along with step-by-step "how to" videos on my very own section of Videojug.com called The Microwave Gourmet. Among the dishes I demonstrate are Barbecue Chicken, Swordfish and Vegetables, and Peanut Butter Blondies.
These videos can also be found on this website under the Recipe Library.
- Cookthink, a recipe site that featured favorite recipes from my archives and a section called the Barbara Kafka Dessert Anthology. As the name implies, this is an offering of various dessert recipes I've written over the years including a series of distinctive fruit tarts.
- A recipe column for Solo Lady called Microwave Magic for One (or Two). The recipes take advantage of the new high powered microwaves to create dishes that keep health in mind along with pleasure.
- And of course, there is my blog.
I hope you'll visit each of these sites and tell me what you think.
|Apr 26, 2012|